More Aviation Jobs!
Company/Organization: Boeing Company
Job Type: Permanent
Posted: 8/7/2019 5:47:55 PM
Boeing Global Services (BGS) is seeking an Experienced Software Engineering Product Manager (Real Time) in St. Louis, MO. Note, this is not a supervising management position. The team is seeking highly motivated engineers who wish to expand into the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) Product Manager leadership role to join the Environments Control Systems (ECS) team in Training Systems to support our Apache Longbow Crew Trainer products for the United States Army. The Apache program supports Apache trainers around the world. This is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge of the depth and breadth of the training solutions Boeing provides to the U.S. Army as well as to contribute to one of the cornerstone programs of the Training Systems portfolio.
The ECS team operates in a Scaled Agile software development environment and develops Synthetic Environment simulations, Instructor/Operator Stations, Brief/Debrief Systems and other software subsystems for Boeing flight trainers used by customers around the world. ECS is a rapidly growing area of BGS Training and Professional Services (TPS) with ample career development opportunities, and a rich diversity of work assignments. We support customers all over the world (US and foreign military, commercial aircraft, even NASA). Developers on our team are responsible for all phases of the software life cycle, including architecture, design, implementation and test. They are also directly involved in planning their own work, as part of the agile methodology, with a focus on technical excellence. Our organization has been recognized within Boeing as a leader in innovation and recently won the Boeing Engineering Team of the Year and ATLAS awards.
As a SAFe Product Manager, you will be the technical interface between customer programs and the ECS agile software development organization. Your role includes project management, technical leadership, requirements definition, and translation of requirements into user stories for our agile software teams to implement. You will work on a fast paced, highly collaborative ECS agile software team developing innovative solutions to complex aircraft training requirements across a wide variety of Boeing and non-Boeing platforms. ECS engineers work with cutting edge tools and technologies in the areas of simulation, networking, UX, 3D computer graphics, mobile devices, and video streaming.
- Serve as a customer’s product focal for the ECS software team, specifically in day-to-day design and implementation decisions
- Collaborate with agile teams to build and manage new features and capabilities while delivering the desired business impact
- Provide leadership on activities such as prioritization and negotiating with stakeholders on backlog priorities
- Work closely with the ECS Product Owners and software engineers in defining subsystem level software features and executable backlog items
- Continuously prioritize and groom team backlogs
- Participate in team and system demonstrations
- Accept new stories into each sprint cycle when created by the teams
- Actively participate in retrospectives and other improvement workshops.
- Advocate for process improvements through an understanding of the engineering lifecycle and previous experience
- Manage product release schedules and release activities
- Attend product management meetings, planning, and backlog/vision refinement sessions
- Develop and maintain the technical roadmap and non-functional requirements for product
- Manage project Earned Value Management (EVM) cost and schedule baselines
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- Experience with product/engineering development in an Agile environment
- Experience with the Agile Software development lifecycle
- 5+ years of experience in systems engineering, software engineering, and/or project management
- 5+ years of experience in software systems engineering, integration, and testing
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience as an agile Product Manager, Product Owner or Scrum Master
- Experience in acting in agile (SCRUM) leadership roles of Product Owner and/or Scrum Master
- Experience with project management in an engineering environment
- Experience in the development and design of aircraft simulation and/or training devices
- Experience working in a Scaled Agile Environment
- Experience decomposing stories into vertical slices of software features
- Software Development experience
- Systems Integration experience
- Project Management experience
- Experience working in a team environment
- Experience with agile workflow tools such as VersionOne or JIRA
- Experience with aircraft platforms, aviation, simulation, and training systems
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) certifications (SP, SSM, SASM, POPM, SPC)
- Experience with simulation standards such as Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS), High Level Architecture (HLA), or Boeing’s Common Simulation Framework (CSF)
- Excellent verbal and written English language, good communication skills, and ability to interact well in group meeting/working environments.
- Self-starter and works independently to formulate and execute project plans, complete and track assigned tasks.
- Fluent in the use of Microsoft (MS) Office Tools and able to independently produce PowerPoint briefings, MS Project schedules, MS Word documents, and generate and manipulate Excel files
- Current active Secret security clearance a plus
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 5 or more years related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD, Master+3 years related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position is in a location that does not offer relocation. Candidates must live in the immediate area or relocate at their own expense.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.