More Aviation Jobs!
Job Type: Permanent
Posted: 12/1/2019 12:00:01 PM
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CRANE OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (STARSHIP)
The crane operations supervisor plays a critical role in the success of day-to-day operations at the SpaceX facility in Boca Chica. It will be your job to lead all crane lifting and to ensure that SpaceX goals and objectives are being met while ensuring that crew members and materials are hoisted and maneuvered in a safe and proficient manner. Youíll be responsible for handling, inspecting and utilizing cranes and associated tools, as well as performing site surveys, task analysis, and critical lift calculations.
- Lead the daily activities of your assigned area at the Boca Chica site
- Manage a team of crane operators who specialize in heavy crane lifting and rigging operations
- Learn and apply qualitative and quantitative methods to measure team effectiveness and performance
- Identify process improvement and modifications to develop strategies, increase efficiency, and improve upon existing company objectives
- Follow applicable local, state, and federal safety, environmental and system principles
- Coordinate with outside rigging vendors for all heavy lifting operations and oversee/direct all contracted operations involving flight hardware
- Write and implement lift plans and critical lifts plans
- Tilt, dip and turn suspended loads to maneuver over, under and/or around obstacles using multi-point suspension techniques
- Coordinate and direct crane riggers and operators in all areas, as well as performing inspections, operator level maintenance, selection and configuration of slings, cables, ropes, pulleys, winches, blocks, shackles and sheaves according to weight and size of load to be moved
- Inspect and schedule maintenance for overhead cranes and smaller hydraulic cranes (60 tons or less)
- Inspect and schedule maintenance for rental equipment with outside vendors
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Above all, remain dependable which means be unfazed by ambiguity or major changes in strategic direction
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 5+ years of experience as a certified advanced rigger
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Understanding of all rigging equipment shackles, straps, slings, rope, hoists, etc.
- Ability to calculate and determine appropriate lifting equipment and write lift plans
- Strong working knowledge of lifting signals and communications
- Strong working knowledge of operating and inspecting heavy equipment
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- 3+ years of experience serving in a lead role
- NCCER certification
- NCCCO crane operator certification
- Must have a valid driverís license
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small opening and climbing hand over hand, lifting 50 lbs. unassisted, and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends
- Able to travel for short and extended trips as needed - up to 5% travel
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXís Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.