More Aviation Jobs!
Company/Organization: Vertex Aerospace
Job Type: Permanent
Posted: 8/5/2022 3:10:56 PM
CAD/CAM Supervisor Job Description
The CAD/CAM Supervisor oversees the Computer Aided Design (CAD), Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM), and general programming functions responsible for generating NC (numerically controlled) code, model creation, drafting, and nesting processes for a variety of 3-, 4-, and 5- axis machines that manufacture mid- to highly complex aerospace components and tooling fixtures. Responsible for orchestrating and managing a team of direct reports to create solid models and drawings using CATIA, NX, Solidworks, AutoCAD, etc., develop 2D/3D layouts, create detailed manufacturing drawings and revise existing models, drawings and electronic images. Applies knowledge of design, modeling, drawing and manufacturing practices to guide the team to solve design and/or manufacturing issues with the CAD/CAM team.
Ultimately responsible for the effectiveness of the CAD/CAM department in interpreting project blueprints, designing programs and setting up machines to produce the component outlined in the program to achieve an objects physical characteristics such as dimensions and other geometrical qualities during the manufacturing and assembly process.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment
- Responsible for CAD/CAM department performance against standards and procedures
- Build and maintain a teaming environment, respectful and supporting of others
- Manages CAD/CAM resources to support multi-shift manufacturing operations
- Oversees all CAD/CAM performance, inspection, and documentation activities
- Interface focal for all departments at required levels, Customer liaison and management on all quality-related activities
- Manage workflow in the team to meet cost budgets and schedule deadlines
- Maintaining appropriate staffing levels to handle dynamic workloads
- Coordinate the prioritization and resolution CAD/CAM issues with customer engineering and company managers, project engineers and programs managers
- Establish and maintaining department standards and procedures for generation of models, associated drawings and NC files
- Collaborate with configuration management to ensure proper data configuration control, managing CAD/CAM Software configuration
- Plan and manage employee training and development, and employee performance evaluations
- Develop and collect metrics to support cost estimating for future work
- Define and implement best practices to maintain department goals
- Provide shop support during the proving process of new and updated programs and daily support for problem solving and process improvements
- Evaluate and ensure incorporation, as applicable, shop machinist and/or inspection feedback into existing programs and processes
- Participate in continuous improvement activities
- Understand and apply quality system requirements to work processes
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all contacts
- Accept and adapt positively to change
- Initiates, sponsors, supports process improvements
- Resource and budget management
- Approves time and attendance records for processing through payroll
- Interprets and enforces company policies/guidelines and safety regulations
- Supports the companys goals and promotes achievement of those goals within own areas of responsibility
- Monitors employee performance for feedback, recognition, and/or development
Qualified candidates have previous experience / demonstrate ability or thorough understanding of the following:
- Skilled and knowledgeable in high speed machining techniques of aluminum and/or hard metals
- CATIA, UG,Solidworks, AutoCAD, Mastercam and Vericut experience required
- Strong background and understanding of GDT principles
- Knowledge and understanding of AS9100 Aerospace Quality Management System as applicable to manufacturing processes
- Proficient understanding of GM-Code
- Skilled in reading and interpreting engineering drawings, blueprints, mylars, and specifications
- Ability to manage competing priorities, prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently
- Must have experience with MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Strong attention to detail
- Must have the ability to provide leadership and motivation, identifying strengths and weaknesses in direct reports, then utilizing those strengths for the benefit business.
- Must have good technical, analytical and communication skills
- Ability to write routine reports and complete required production paperwork
- Ability to communicate effectively and convey ideas/information one-on-one and in small group settings
Education and Experience:
Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering/Technology or related field with at least 5 years direct experience in supervision or management roles over CAD/CAM personnel or equivalent combination of education and experience (High School Diploma with at least 15 years direct experience including 5+ years in supervision or management roles over CAD/CAM personnel). Must have a strong quality technical background and must be familiar with Aerospace Quality Management Systems, ISO9001/AS9100, as well as inspection and manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Predominantly an office environment. However, the nature of position may require exposure to: work areas that have high noise levels. Oil, grease, grime, and dust may be present. Production facilities may not be environmentally controlled: temperature of working area may reflect the outside weather conditions.
- Personal Protective Equipment Requirements: Must use safety glasses and ear plugs within the immediate production areas where required.
- Physical Requirements: Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Working Hours/Overtime requirements: Normal schedule is 40 hour work week. Overtime and weekends as required to meet deadlines and accomplish job duties.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she may be required to follow other instructions and to perform other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)